Sun, 7 July 2013
In this session we learn how a hobby for computer games and graphics led to a notable visual effects business headed by Tobias Richter based in Cologn, Germany called "The Light Works". His company is now used by main industry clients such as Atari, CBS Digital and Lucas Arts as well as indie film producers for quality visual effects.
Discover in this episode:-
- Tobias has an amazing working environment, filled with sci-fi physical models that act as a great reference to creating virtual ones.
- How physical model building is a useful discipline for virtual modeling.
- How The Light Works company started.
- The secrets of how high quality visual effects are created on a relatively small budget.
- Tobias's main tools and workflow.
- The Light Works involvement in Star Trek Phase II.
- Tobias and Fedcon - a major annual Star Trek convention in Germany.
- Tobias's visit to George Lucas's Skywalker Ranch.
- The more recent projects of "Nobility" and the "5th Passenger"
Check out a reel of completed projects at thelightworks.com and look out for stuff in production at their facebook page.
If you've enjoyed this session, let us know some of your feedback at iTunes.
Don't forget to check for our latest live 3D digtal art conferences and webinars over at 3DArtlive.com
I started off asking Tobias about his working environment at the Light Works Studio.